Role: 2nd Line IT Support Technician
Salary: £25,000 – £30,000 per annum depending on experience
Our client offers a wide range of business services & solutions.
Summary of role
Based in the Liverpool office working with other members of the IT team I the London head office or any of the other business sites, the IT Support Technician provides users of the business domain first and second-line support.
The IT Support Technician is also responsible for the management, configuration and day-to day maintenance of numerous software and hardware systems, hence the essential and desirable technical proficiencies below.
Main Duties and responsibilities
- Support of thee IT network servers, workstations and other hardware, in particular:
- Installation and commissioning of Laptops, PCs and peripherals,
- Installations, configuration and ongoing maintenance of server and client-side software,
- Continuous monitoring of IT systems; prioritising and addressing any problems that may occur,
- Occasional first-line technical support of software and hardware to users, in particular when covering the IT Service Desk Technician absence,
- Department housekeeping and administration duties (keeping IT areas tidy and secure and in general be aware of security).
- Second – line technical support to other back office teams
- Liaising with and overseeing third-party service providers
The successful candidate:
Skills and Experience
A successful candidate must demonstrate the following skills or qualities:
- Attention to detail
- Good verbal and written communication skills; in particular when discussing and explaining technical subjects with non-technical staff,
- Very strong problem-solving skills,
- Capable working alone and as part of a team,
- Able to produce and maintain documentation for users an IT staff,
- Able to plan, manager and deliver projects and to produce work deadlines,
- Familiarity with the Data Protection Act (2018), the General Data Protection Regulation (2016/679) and the principles defined therein.
The company employs a variety of technologies in its IT infrastructure, experience with following is essential:
- Microsoft software
- Windows server (specifically 2008 R2 and 2016)
- Windows 7 & 10 (Enterprise)
- Microsoft Office ( including 2013, 365, etc.)
- Communication systems (i.e. Exchange 2010 and skype for Business server & client )
- Active Directory & Windows domain management ( including system policies)
- Knowledge of SQL and its implementation in Microsoft SQL Server ( 2008+), including administration tasks such performing backups,, restores execution of queries, changes to security profiles, etc.
- Wed Server technologies (Microsoft IIS, Apache HTTPd
- (re-) Configuration of Cisco Firewall & Switch technologies, using both the command line and graphical user interfaces,
- Strong comprehension of the following fundamental concepts: TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, HTTP, HTTPS including SSL/TLS,
In addition to the essential proficiencies listed above, some experience or familiarity with the following would be desirable:
- Microsoft System Centre
- Service Desk software (e.g. support helpdesk)
- Backup software (VEEAM, Backup-Exec)
- VOIP Telephony ( In particular Avaya)
- Server-side (Provision of DDIs, Call Routing e.t.)
- Network-level (patching and understanding of PoE)
- Client-side (connection and use of headsets, etc)
- Server and Virtualisation platforms:
- EMC SAN Solutions,
- VMWare, vSphere (or equivalent, e.g. VirtualBox, Hyper-V)
- LAMP based software and services, such as:
- Ubuntu Server
- Apache HTTPd & Tomcat servlet container
- Blind9 DNS Service
- Familiarity with the OSI model and how it pertains to telecommunication and computer systems.
Glu Recruit are an equal opportunities employer.